Saturday, July 24, 2010

+ OH PIONEERS +

Hello Hello! ROXY IN DA HAUS!!!! You guys... 9 days till Allison's FABULOUS new website goes live! BOO-YA!

Sooo today is my day to blog. YEE-HAW! I thought it only appropriate to blog about Pioneer Day! Here in the wonderful state of Utah is Pioneer Day! It is an official holiday that celebrates the Mormon pioneers [am I getting this jargon right? :/] entering into the Salt Lake Valley back in the mid 1800's and settling down!  How am I going to spend this wonderful holiday? By going slip n' sliding of course!

How is Allison going to spend it? hahaha lol  like this! Riding around on a horse with her husband Kenn in Cokeville Wyoming! lol
Well maybe not riding around on a horse...but she is in Wyoming kickin it with the husband and chidlets.

But in all seriousness... Utah having a holiday to celebrate the pioneers who trekked hundreds of miles in wagons and handcarts is pretty neat!  Life as a pioneer in the 1800's has always fascinated me...One of my very favorite authors is Laura Ingalls Wilder! I have read her little house series more than ten times. Here is her most famous book:

Such a good book! But my favorite is Little House in the Big Woods! If you haven't read this book yet, PLEASE go out and buy it! You will not be able to put it down! I have been reading Little House in the Big Woods every couple years now since I was 8!

Another reason to like life back in the mid 1800's is for their fashion. One can never have enough frills & calico prints! Plus their styles were sooo girly and yet a little sexy! Look at this Butterick pattern and check out the chokers these ladies are wearing! CAAAA--UUUTE!


Life wasn't always easy though... I would say the majority of life on the prairie was hard.  Take this photo for instance... it depicts the hardship of that time period so well...

 I often wonder sometimes if I would have made a good pioneer...I was recently in New York this past week and half doing some freelance work and while out there, NYC was getting slammed as usual with the humidity.  I felt myself being cranky every day over this, especially so because I was lugging a lot of bags with me to and from the warehouse I was working at. I bet you anything that this kind of work was nothing for a pioneer.... now I am feeling a little silly about how cranky I was.... mkay...well before I go, a couple more pictures to share that depict pioneer life! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and for those of you in Utah, HAPPY PIONEER DAY!  over n' out! >>> Roxy <<<

Images found via:
Jersey Homesteader
Razor Family Farms
Graham County
Sidney Rigdon
The Pioneer Woman



No comments:

Post a Comment